Friday, September 11, 2009

Baby Julian

My "little" cousin Michele (she's 30 but still my little cousin!) was scheduled to have a baby shower July 25 - the baby was not due until early September.  But as a big surprise to everyone, he decided to arrive a "little" early on July 21!  He was a tiny little thing and we never imagined we'd be seeing that baby before the baby shower! But he is a sweet little blessing and now, as I post this in September he is just growing and growing and doing great!
During this visit, my mom and I took the kids to the Abilene zoo.  It is really cool! They have a bridge that goes over the giraffe (which my kids pronounce with a hard "g" sound) exhibit.  You can buy treats to feed them and they reach up with their long tongues and take them right from your hands! It is wild!  The kids would just squeal anytime the tongue got close to them!  They also loved the monkeys, which got fed while we were watching, and proceeded to carry their carrots and lettuce around with them - it was really cool to see! The kids pretty much fancy themselves monkeys anyway, what with their cool backpacks and all!

A note on the backpacks - I never thought I'd have my kids wear something that seemed like a "leash".  I mean I looked down my nose at people I saw in the mall with their kids on a leash
 and scoffed "oh I'd never do that..."  Never say never, right? Especially when it comes to parenting.  My kids love those silly backpacks and for me, I can keep them close (aka safe) without impeding their fun!

2 comments:

Missy said...

It is so great to see a picture of your cousin's precious little baby doing so well!!! That is so great!

I LOVE that you have the backpacks!! I bought a pink dog backpack with the long tail leash too, just before I was admitted to the hospital. Matt says he'll never go with me if I use it ... LOL! I am so freaked out about losing her though, and she is becoming more and more adamant about walking by herself or not wanting to hold hands, so I don't care if everyone around me wants to judge :-) ... I'm totally gonna use the darn thing!!

The Kaspars said...

So cute! I'm so glad that backpacks are working out for you. Rilee loves her pink doggie and it's so much easier than lugging a big stroller around, huh?! Hope to see you guys soon.